Why Flossing is Important for Better Health
Practising good oral hygiene is a critical element in the process of remaining healthy. The way that you care for your oral health can have an impact on other aspects of your health. In addition to attending regular appointments at Parkland Mall Dental Centre, you must take care of your teeth and gums at home.
Flossing is an especially important part of any oral hygiene routine. Just as you brush your teeth thoroughly every day, you need to use floss to clean the parts of your teeth that a toothbrush cannot reach.
Exploring the Benefits of Flossing
Flossing your teeth offers an assortment of benefits. If you are unsure as to why you need to floss every day, here are some of the top reasons to do it:
• Hard-to-Reach Areas: Dental floss can reach the areas of your teeth that are not accessible with a toothbrush. Flossing cleans the spaces in-between your teeth. With floss, you can also clean the gap between the gums and the base of your teeth. If you do not clean these areas, they are susceptible to harmful bacteria growth.
• Gum Disease Prevention: Since flossing enables you to keep elusive parts of your teeth free from harmful bacteria, it is a crucial aspect of preventing gum disease. Brushing, by itself, is not enough to accomplish this. In fact, a New York University College of Dentistry study conducted on twins confirmed this assertion. The twins who did not floss showed evidence of much more gingival bleeding than those who flossed regularly.
• Avoiding Bone Loss: Flossing also prevents bone loss. Gum disease leads to the loss of teeth and bone. By flossing on a daily basis, you are helping to prevent losing teeth and other facial bone in the future.
• Other Health Conditions: In addition to warding off gum disease and bone loss, flossing may aid in avoiding other serious health problems. Flossing could protect your heart and arteries from being exposed to the same detrimental bacteria that cause gum disease. This kind of bacteria can enter into the bloodstream and lead to clogged arteries and heart disease. Regular flossing might also help to prevent other health issues, including diabetes, stroke, rheumatoid arthritis, and respiratory infections.
• Saving Money: Chronic health conditions place a strain on your budget. Even if you have good health insurance and dental insurance, you still must pay a deductible. Additionally, not all treatments and medications are covered by insurance. If you are faced with serious conditions such as gum disease, heart disease, and diabetes, you can be sure that you will be affected by the associated financial costs.
Talk to Your Family Dentist in Red Deer About Oral Hygiene
If you have questions about flossing or other oral hygiene practices, feel free to discuss them with your family dentist at Parkland Mall Dental Centre. Flossing daily only takes a few moments of your time, and it could spare you from enduring much illness, stress, and expense in the future.
Is it time for a dental cleaning or exam? Routine dental appointments are as important as regular flossing. Call Parkland Mall Dental Centre at 403-342-1118 to book a consultation. You can also fill out our online contact form. We encourage new dental patients to contact us—you are welcome!