When is A Good Time for A Child to Get Braces
Every year, countless people receive orthodontic treatment. Braces are one of the most common types of such treatment, and people of all ages may benefit from wearing them. If you have a child, you should speak to your dentist about the best time for him or her to get braces if necessary.
At Parkland Mall Dental Centre, we are always happy to answer your questions and address your concerns. Our Red Deer dentists are fully qualified to assist dental patients of all ages.
Knowing When to Get Braces for Your Child
Having braces installed can improve the appearance of crooked or otherwise errant teeth. More importantly, wearing this kind of dental appliance may ensure proper functionality and oral health.
Consider these points if you suspect that your child may require braces:
• How to Know: You cannot always determine whether your young one will need braces later. This is one of the many reasons that dental appointments and exams are so critical. Your family dentist in Red Deer can help you decide whether you should consider orthodontic treatment for your kids.
• Indications: While you should not try to make the assessment yourself, you can pay attention to various signs that your son or daughter might require treatment. Issues such as crowded or crooked teeth, an underbite, or an overbite may need to be addressed as soon as possible.
• Being Examined: An orthodontist might examine your child’s teeth when the child is as young as 7 years of age. The age at which to schedule such an appointment could vary, however. If serious orthodontic issues arise when your son or daughter is younger than 7, your dentist might recommend an evaluation then.
• Age for Treatment: The best time for this type of treatment varies, as well. As a general rule, the age range for getting braces may be approximately 8 to 14 years old.
• Traditional or Interceptive: Different professionals have different opinions about which approach to take for implementing braces. Some prefer the traditional practice, which involves wearing braces when a child has mostly adult teeth. Others believe that an interceptive approach is more effective. The interceptive strategy involves two phases of installing appliances. First, appliances may be used when a child still has primarily baby teeth, and the appliances may not always be braces. Then, braces can be used later, when the child is older.
• Summertime: You may also want to consider the season during which your kid has braces installed. The best time could be the beginning of summer, which will give your child a few months to adjust to wearing the new addition. Also, it might be easier to schedule the initial series of appointments when your child does not have a busy school schedule.
Talk to Your Family Dentist in Red Deer
The best way to determine the right age for your kid to get braces is to consult the team at Parkland Mall Dental Centre. One of our Red Deer dentists can help you to decide whether your child needs braces, and if so, when they should be installed.
Call us today at 403-342-1118. We welcome new dental patients of all ages. Please do not hesitate to complete our online contact form for more information.