Top Foods that Whiten Your Teeth Naturally
Despite brushing, flossing and following a good dental care routine, you may find that, over time, your teeth tend to get a yellowish tint or discoloration. Excessive consumption of certain foods and beverages can also add stains to your teeth. This includes tea, coffee, wine, berries, citrus or acidic foods, and sweets. On the other hand, consumption of certain foods can have a whitening effect on the enamel. Try to incorporate some of these items in your meals, and watch your smile brighten and whiten naturally.
Foods that Brighten Your Smile
Thanks to Mother Nature, there are some organic ways to protect your smile. Unlike chemical treatments, these are gentle solutions that covers even your hard-to-reach molars. There are several raw vegetables, fresh fruits and dairy items that have teeth-cleansing, anti-decay and plaque-fighting properties. Here are some of the top foods that can brighten your smile with every sip or bite.
• Broccoli: Eat broccoli raw instead of steaming it. The coarse texture of the crisp florets acts as a scrubbing agent and cleans your teeth as you chomp away. Plus, the high levels of iron in this vegetable help to ward off stains, harmful bacteria, and acid erosion.
• Celery and Carrots: The high water content in these vegetables wash away food debris, strengthens your gums, and adds a whitening effect to your teeth. An added advantage is a slimmer waistline, when you include these items in your daily meals.
• Yogurt, Milk and Cheese: The lactic acid found in these dairy products whitens your teeth naturally. These items also have enamel-strengthening mineral calcium that prevents harmful, cavity-causing acids. Furthermore, hard cheeses stimulate teeth-cleansing saliva. Go for cheeses like Gouda or Cheddar, typically found in small blocks on an appetizer tray.
• Strawberries and Apples: The high concentration of malic acid in apples increases saliva, cleanses your teeth and removes stains. Just chewing the red, delicious fruit can offer a scrubbing effect. Apart from malic acid, strawberries have antioxidants and vitamin C that combat stain-creating bacteria and mouth inflammation. You can even try to mash a strawberry directly on your teeth, leave it on for 5 minutes and then rinse with water.
• Seeds and Nuts: The rough texture of almonds, walnuts, cashews and sunflower seeds works like an exfoliator to remove your teeth’s surface stains. Chewing on raisins also stimulates saliva, and protects against plaque build-up, staining and cavities. Add these nuts and seeds to your salads, cereal or desserts and get those pearly whites naturally!
• Water: Sipping water through the day can help prevent teeth staining from tea, coffee, wines or dark, pigmented foods. About 6 glasses a day is not only great for your dental hygiene, but also for your overall health and hydration.
Get a Professional Teeth Whitening from Your Family Dentist in Red Deer
Apart from natural ways to cleanse your teeth, you can benefit from a professional, supervised teeth-whitening kit. Speak to your Red Deer family dentist at Parkland Mall Dental Centre. Our experienced team will examine your dental condition and advise you on all the suitable whitening options. From subtle changes to a dramatic difference, we can help you achieve the smile of your dreams. Learn more about our range of services, including teeth whitening, teeth cleaning and general dentistry that caters to the entire family’s dental care needs.
To schedule an appointment at Parkland Mall Dental Centre, call 403-342-1118 or fill out our online contact form. We welcome new dental patients.