Red Deer Dentists Turn the Spotlight on Common Dental Issues You Should NOT Ignore
At Parkland Mall Dental Centre, we urge our patients to book a check-up as soon as they notice any continued signs of oral discomfort or abnormality. Read our summary about some of the signs that you should pay heed to.
Much has been spoken and written about oral hygiene and early detection and prevention of dental issues. We all know that regular teeth cleaning and dental checkups are the best ways to prevent painful, expensive, long-term oral health problems. And yet, when we encounter some common issues, we tend to procrastinate instead of addressing them immediately. How often have you ignored a stabbing pain in your teeth on consuming something hot or cold, or random streaks of blood while brushing your teeth?
Common Oral Health Symptoms that You Should Not Ignore
- Teeth Sensitivity: While this issue can aggravate over a period of time, if your teeth feel sensitive or you get a sharp, shooting pain on consuming anything sweet, hot or cold, it is likely that there is an underlying issue that needs to be diagnosed. It could be due to a decaying or fractured tooth, worn fillings or tooth enamel, or gum recession that is exposing the root of the tooth.
- Bleeding Gums: If your gums bleed when you brush or floss regularly, you are exhibiting signs of gingivitis (gum inflammation) which can lead to gum disease (loss of bone in which your teeth are embedded). If treated early, gum inflammation can be reversed and bone loss can be arrested.
- Mouth Sores: Mouth sores can occur due to bacterial or viral infections, or irritation caused by a broken tooth, rough-edged filling, braces or dentures. They could also be an indication of some other underlying disease. If your mouth sore lasts for more than a week, it is time to get that checked by your dentist.
- Persistent Bad Breath: To address the occasional bad breath that occurs due to the food you consume, you can brush twice a day, use a mouthwash or mint and floss daily. However, persistent bad breath could be a sign of gum disease or other medical conditions.
- Mouth Dryness: The saliva in your mouth is your first line of defense against tooth decay. It not only washes away the food particles, but also fights to keep other oral diseases at bay. If you are experiencing dryness in your mouth all the time, it could be either a side-effect of certain medication that you are on, or in older women, it may happen during menopause. A dry mouth could also be an indication of some other medical disorder. See your dentist to get the root cause treated and restore the moisture in your mouth.
- Loose Tooth, Tooth Pain or Clicking in the Jaw: A loose tooth, broken tooth or cavity may cause tooth pain while chewing. The pain may also be because of an abscess or an impacted tooth. Jaw pain or popping happens due to excessive teeth grinding, gingivitis or other problems such as sinus or arthritis. For any kind of tooth or jaw pain, visit a dentist right away!
Partner with Your Trusted Family Dentist in Red Deer
Your oral care is not just dependent on seeing a dentist twice a year, but also on how well you partner with your dentist. If you are facing any of the symptoms mentioned here, do not hesitate to book an appointment and get it checked in a timely manner instead of waiting till your next annual checkup or cleaning appointment. At Parkland Mall Dental Centre, we offer general dentistry and teeth cleaning, along with a host of other dental services for your entire family.