Schedule A Cleaning with Your Red Deer Dentists After the Holidays
Sugar can be a big problem for your teeth around the holidays. Not only can it increase your risk of cavities and tooth decay, holiday time often goes hand in hand with reduced flossing, increased plaque and tartar build-up, and the risk of gum damage. These problems cause harmful bacteria to grow in your mouth, which feeds on sugar; the more sugar you consume, the more bacteria will thrive and spread to other areas of the mouth.
The best measure you can take is to schedule an appointment with your family dentist in Red Deer following the holidays. A dental cleaning can remove any plaque buildup, tartar and bacteria that has cultivated in your mouth over time. Your dentist can also acquire dental X-rays, which will help identify problems before they have a chance to progress.
Get Healthy Teeth for the Holidays
Here are some steps you can take during the Christmas holidays to help protect your smile and reduce your odds of developing teeth problems.
- Avoid brushing your teeth immediately after eating. Brushing after you have eaten highly acidic foods can push acid deeper into your enamel, which can cause more damage to your teeth. Instead, rinse your mouth with water and wait at least 45 minutes to brush your teeth.
- Don’t use your teeth to open packages. Attempting to open your Christmas gift packages with your teeth can cut your gums and damage your tooth enamel. Having a pair of scissors handy to open your gifts packages can help you avoid dental emergencies during the holidays.
- Skip the candy canes. Candy canes are almost entirely made of sugar, which coats your teeth and gums and helps bacteria grow. Opt for other delicious treats with far less sugar during and after the holiday season to protect your teeth from tooth decay.
- Say no to caramel or toffee. Caramel and toffee are Christmas baking staples, but they do not agree with our teeth. These sticky treats get stuck to your teeth and gums, leaving sugar in your mouth and presenting the perfect opportunity for bacteria growth.
- Don’t forget to stick to your teeth cleaning routine. Christmas can be hectic and full of last minute changes, making it easy to forget your regular oral care practices. Do your best to stick to your routine before and during the holidays and be sure to follow up with a dental cleaning in the New Year.
Contact Parkland Mall Dental Centre today at 403-342-1118 to book your post-holidays dental cleaning. You can also reach us online with our convenient contact form. We accept new dental patients, so do not hesitate to get in touch.