Keeping Your Teeth and Smile Healthy
There are some fundamental steps that go into taking care of your teeth. One of the most important is visiting your family dentist in Red Deer for teeth cleaning. Teeth cleanings are typically performed once to twice a year and come with an yearly oral examination which allows your dentist to scan for any potential issues.
What Happens at Your Teeth Cleaning Appointment?
During the appointment, your dental hygienist will remove plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth, floss your teeth, polish them and apply fluoride (if applicable). For children, the dentist may apply a dental sealant to preserve the integrity of adult teeth coming in, and prevent cavities.
Your Red Deer dentist will review your dental history, examine for signs of oral cancer, check your overall bite and look for signs of cavities. X-rays may also be performed at each appointment or at least once a year to look for any signs of decay or changes in your teeth.
Visiting the dentist is not the only thing that keeps your smile healthy. While it is important, you must also maintain your smile at home by practicing proper dental hygiene.
Dental Hygiene 101: How to Maintain Your Oral Health In Between Cleanings
After you visit Red Deer dentists for your preventive cleaning, follow these steps to maintain oral health year-round:
- Brush Your Teeth Properly - Most people do not realize that they are brushing incorrectly. Some ways to ensure you are doing it right include keeping the bristles at a 45-degree angle, contacting the brush with the tooth’s surface as well as the gum lines and using a gentle back and forth as well as up and down motion to dislodge food particles. You should also be brushing a minimum of twice a day.
- Stay Away from Tobacco - Tobacco and nicotine can cause oral cancer and periodontal (gum) disease, but they can also stain your teeth and cause bad odours.
- Limit Soda, Alcohol and Coffee Products - These beverages can deplete your body of calcium and lead to tooth decay and gum disease. Instead of these types of beverages, opt for milk to enjoy stronger teeth and enamel.
- Consume More Calcium - Your body needs calcium and essential vitamins to stay strong and healthy. You do not have to rely on drinking milk to get your daily dose of calcium. Dark, leafy vegetables have calcium as well as cheese and yogurt products.
- Use Mouthwash - Mouthwash containing chlorine dioxide kills and maintains healthy bacteria in the mouth. It can also create stronger teeth and better breath.
Parkland Mall Dental Centre is Accepting New Dental Patients
Whether you need a professional dental cleaning or you are looking for a family dentist in Red Deer, the team at Parkland Mall Dental Centre is here to keep the entire family’s oral hygiene up to par. Schedule your bi-annual cleaning and examination with one of our friendly dental professionals.