How Smoking Affects Your Teeth and Health
In terms of your health, smoking is one of the worst habits you can have. Ultimately, it could negatively impact your body from head to toe. This habit can be detrimental to your appearance, and more importantly, it can lead to very serious health problems. In fact, smoking may even result in the development of life-threatening conditions.
Your mouth can certainly be affected if you indulge in this practice. At Parkland Mall Dental Centre, we encourage you to quit the habit if you currently engage in it. You can seek help with smoking cessation products and other assistance if necessary. You are also welcome to speak with one of our Red Deer dentists about the hazards that cigarette usage imposes on your health.
How Smoking Affects Your Overall Health
Cigarettes can be tough to quit, but it is essential to do so, both for your longevity and your daily quality of life. Smoking can have a long list of adverse effects.
Consider the following reasons to stop smoking today:
• Unpleasant Odor – If you smoke, do not fool yourself into believing that others do not notice. Cigarette smoke has a distinctive smell that is generally repulsive to non-smokers, and it can even be distasteful to other smokers. The scent lingers in your hair, your breath, your clothing, your vehicle, and your home.
• Respiratory Issues – One of the most common effects of smoking is the manifestation of respiratory problems. If you are a smoker, you might begin to start wheezing when you exercise, or even when you climb a flight of stairs. You could also suffer from asthma, bronchitis, emphysema, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD).
• Compromised Immune System – Another potential problem is lowered immunity to disease. A compromised immune system can decrease your body’s capacity to fight infection, leaving you vulnerable to sustaining a wide variety of alarming health conditions.
• Cancer – Smoking is one of the leading factors associated with cancer. While it is certainly linked to lung cancer, this unhealthy habit could also be a precursor to mouth and throat cancer, cervical cancer, bladder cancer, and other various types of cancers.
• Bone Problems – Smoking increases your chances of getting osteoporosis, especially if you are a woman. Once this happens, your bones become more brittle, and you will be more likely to sustain fractures.
• Heart Disease – Those who smoke are at a much higher risk of developing cardiovascular disease. You could sustain issues such as heart attacks, strokes, damaged blood vessels, and damaged arteries.
• Teeth and Gums – Your smile can be greatly affected by this habit. Cigarette usage may cause your teeth to become yellow or brown. Worse yet, smoking has been linked to periodontal disease, which often results in the loss of teeth. The dangerous bacteria in your gums may travel through your bloodstream to other parts of your body.
Your Red Deer Dentists Support Your Decision to Quit Smoking
We understand how challenging it can be to quit smoking, but doing so could save your life. As a result of stopping this detrimental practice, you might also save money on medical and dental bills, improve your appearance, and prevent yourself from losing teeth.
Call Parkland Mall Dental Centre at 403-342-1118 to book an appointment. You may also utilize our online contact form. We welcome new dental patients to contact us.