Everything You Need to Know About Teeth Bonding
Tips for New Patients from Your Red Deer Family Dentist
At Parkland Mall Dental Centre, our team of dentists are not only dedicated to maintaining and improving your overall oral health, but also want to help you achieve a smile that you can be proud of showing off! If you are not happy with your smile and want a way to painlessly mend chips, discolourations, or other problems, don’t hesitate to ask your family dentist about teeth bonding. Keep reading to learn more about the process and what to expect!
What is Teeth Bonding?
A tooth bonding is a painless dental procedure which uses resin to repair specific areas of a tooth. Similar in many ways to a veneer, the main difference is that a veneer covers the entire tooth, while bonding is only for a specific area. This is an incredibly effective way to improve your smile without having to resort to braces and other more complex, expensive options.
Reasons Patients Choose BondingThis procedure is a painless, relatively straightforward solution to a wide variety of cosmetic and practical issues with your teeth. Here are some of the reasons to consider undergoing a tooth bonding procedure:
- Repairing cavities
- Fixing broken teeth
- Cracks or chips in a tooth
- Closing spaces between teeth
- Making teeth appear longer
- Improving visible discolouration of teeth
- Changing the overall shape of teeth
- Protecting a portion of the tooth’s root that has been exposed when gums recede
- Direct Composite Bonding – This is when a tooth-coloured composite is used to fill cavities, repair chips or cracks and close gaps. The materials can also be directly applied to your teeth and then sculpted to create a smoother, more even appearance. These are often referred to as “veneers.”
- Adhesive Bonding – This attaches a restoration to your tooth, also referred to as an aesthetic crown or porcelain veneer. After a colour has been decided, your dentist will roughen the exterior of your existing tooth using an acid solution. Then, a liquid bonding agent is applied so that the veneer can stick to the tooth. The material is hardened using UV light. Your dentist may use a tooth-coloured putty to mold and smooth the tooth and continue the process until the tooth looks as natural as possible.
How the Procedure Works and What to Expect
- Firstly, your dentist applies matrices (clear plastic film) over the teeth adjacent to the one(s) being bonded. This prevents resin from getting on them during the procedure.
- Once everything is ready to go, a mild chemical is applied to the bonding location which makes the surface of the tooth rougher. This is so resin will properly adhere when applied.
- Your dentist will then select a resin whose colour matches your teeth.
- This resin is then applied to the tooth in layers. A layer is applied, hardened with light and then another is added. This ensures a bonded tooth which is strong and does not deteriorate quickly.
- Once the final layer is applied, the dentist uses tools to shape it and to make sure if fits with the opposing teeth for a natural bite.
- Over time, if the bonding starts to deteriorate, your dentist can do touch ups to fix this.
Schedule Your Next Appointment for a Consultation!
If you live in Red Deer or the surrounding area and are looking for a way to improve your smile, contact Parkland Mall Dental and schedule an appointment with our team to see if teeth bonding is the right choice for you.
To book your next consultation, call us at 403-342-1118 or use our online contact form. We are always welcoming new patients, so please don’t hesitate to ask how we can help you.