Encouraging Good Dental Habits for Your Kids
Regular dental cleanings and exams are a vital factor in maintaining oral health. If you want to keep your kids’ mouths in optimal shape, it is important to book periodic maintenance appointments. Getting them accustomed to this practice early is a gift that will yield rewards throughout their lifetimes.
In addition to seeing the dentist regularly, your children may also learn a variety of other healthy habits. These habits can contribute to the oral wellness of your little ones and teenagers. Ideally, you will teach your kids to enjoy a sound lifestyle. Making conscious choices to stay fit and healthy can improve every aspect of health, including dental wellness.
Your Family Dentist in Red Deer Recommends a Balanced Lifestyle
You can teach your children several habits that could help to keep their mouths in good condition. Along with routine dental visits, talk to your kids about the following activities:
• Physical Exercise: Getting enough physical activity can actually work to prevent oral issues. People who exercise regularly may be at far less risk of developing gum disease. Gum disease may also lead to bone loss and many other health problems. Since sugar in the blood is regulated by exercise, you could decrease the presence of bacteria-feeding sugars near the gums. The earlier your kids learn to enjoy physical activity, the better off their teeth, bones, and gums will be.
• Proper Diet: In the same way that you should encourage your kids to get moving, you should also stress the merits of a nutritious diet. Feed your children whole foods instead of processed food products. Provide them with lean proteins, plenty of fruits and vegetables, and an adequate daily supply of water. Offer them healthy snacks instead of chips, candy, and soda.
• Brushing and Flossing: Give your kids the tools to start brushing and flossing as soon as possible. Once you supply them with these implements, show them how to use them properly. Make daily oral hygiene sessions fun by singing to your kids as they brush and floss.
• Good Habits at All Times: When you lead by example, your children will take your advice more seriously. Practice healthy habits every day, regardless of how busy you might be. When you take a vacation, follow the same oral hygiene routine that you do at home.
• Routine Dental Exams: Take your children for dental exams as often as your family dentist recommends. This is one of the most important habits you can teach them for a lifetime of good oral health.
Staying fit, eating well, and proper oral hygiene are all integral to your kids’ dental wellness. Help them keep their mouths in top condition by encouraging them to live a healthy lifestyle. If you would like more tips on maintaining the dental health of your children, talk to one of our staff members today.
Parkland Mall Dental Centre is happy to provide your children with all of their dental needs. Phone us at 403-342-1118, and we will schedule your child’s next dental exam. To explore further information for new dental patients, you are welcome to utilize our online contact form.