Are You Flossing Daily?
A proper oral hygiene routine involves several components. To keep your mouth in good shape, you must visit your dentist and hygienist regularly. Routine dental exams and cleanings help to prevent serious issues from arising.
In addition to seeing one of the Red Deer dentists at Parkland Mall Dental Centre, you should also develop a solid routine at home. Keep your mouth as clean as possible by brushing at least twice per day. Also, daily flossing is a vital aspect of any effective oral hygiene regimen.
How to Encourage Your Household to Floss Every Day
The best way to form a lifelong habit of flossing is to start as early in life as possible. From the youngest members of your family to the heads of the household, everyone should engage in this important practice. You may need to employ a few strategies to persuade your kids, your spouse, or yourself to begin using floss each day. However, repeating the task daily can help you to make it a habit that stands the test of time.
Here are a few tips and tricks for incorporating flossing into your family’s routine from your Red Deer dentists:
• Explore the Consequences – Whether you are trying to convince yourself or your children how important it is to clean the teeth thoroughly, take a look at what will happen if you do not floss. You might perform an image search online, using search terms such as “un-flossed teeth” or “poor dental care.” The results of such a search should be more than enough reason to consider adding flossing to your daily schedule.
• Use the Right Products – Everyone has different needs and preferences, so do not be afraid to experiment until you find floss products that work well for you. If using a flavored variety will inspire you to keep the habit, invest in a few flavors. You may find that you prefer the kind that is attached to a small pick. Allow your kids to choose the product that they like, too.
• Take Small Steps – If you never floss, you might feel overwhelmed by trying to do it every day. Instead, set an initial goal of flossing twice per week. Once you have done that for a couple of weeks, you can increase the goal to every other day. Eventually, you will become so accustomed to performing the task, that doing it daily will no longer seem like an impossible (or unwelcome) prospect.
• Be Gentle – Learn how to floss your teeth correctly, so your gums will be less likely to bleed. Applying the floss gently but thoroughly to the sides of the teeth is ideal. Try to avoid cutting into the gums, as this can be painful and cause bleeding. If your gums bleed every time you floss, you should contact your family dentist.
• Make Dental Floss Accessible – You may be tempted to abandon this essential practice if you cannot find dental floss when you need it. Keep the product in several places, such as near your bed, near the television, and in your car. Then, you will always have some nearby when it is time for flossing.
Flossing for Optimal Health
Once you start the habit of flossing, doing it daily will not seem like a tedious chore. You may notice a difference in the way you feel when your teeth are very clean. If you are uncertain about how to apply floss correctly, be sure to speak to your family dentist in Red Deer for more tips and tricks.
To schedule your next appointment, call Parkland Mall Dental Centre at 403-342-1118. You may also use our online contact form for more information. We welcome new dental patients to contact us, as well.