An Important New Year’s Resolution: Your Dental Routine
Do you have a dental routine? You may already know that scheduling regular appointments at Parkland Mall Dental Centre is vital to your oral health. However, establishing a sense of order with your dental hygiene habits, in general, will also help you to stay healthy.
If you have not previously given much thought to a regular plan, fear not. Our team of Red Deer dentists can offer some helpful hints for the New Year. 2018 is now underway, and it is never too late to implement such an important resolution!
6 Steps to Include in Your Dental Hygiene Plan
In order to create an effective routine, you will need to include a variety of actions. Depending on the nature of each task, you will do these things daily or periodically. Each step is crucial to your health.
Follow these 6 steps to maintain excellent oral hygiene:
1. Brushing: First, choose a toothbrush that best suits your needs, preferences, and lifestyle. A power toothbrush can be highly effective at cleaning the entire surface of your teeth, and it will do so efficiently. If you prefer a traditional toothbrush, buy that instead if it means you will use it more often than you would a power brush. Brush your teeth at least twice daily, and be sure that one of those brushing sessions is just before bedtime. When you are done with your teeth, you should also brush your tongue or clean it with a tongue scraper.
2. Flossing: This is as essential as brushing. You should floss your teeth at least once per day. Again, doing this before bed is always more effective. You have a broad assortment of options from which to choose, from flavored floss to interdental brushes that clean between the teeth beautifully. Get in the habit of taking floss with you when you leave home, so you can use it if needed after a business lunch or dinner with friends.
3. Mouthwash: You can also use mouthwash to clean your mouth even more thoroughly. Do not use this kind of product more than once or twice per day. You might choose an antiseptic rinse or a fluoride mouthwash to ensure optimal hygiene.
4. Prosthetic Teeth: If you have crowns, bridges, implants, or dentures, talk to your dentist about caring for them properly. You may need to soak dentures at night or use a specific method for cleaning a partial denture. Like natural teeth, implants must be cleaned on a regular basis.
5. Professional Cleaning: Remember to schedule cleaning appointments as often as your dentist recommends. If you have a history of gum disease, you may need to have your teeth professionally cleaned more than once or twice per year.
6. Checkups: Dental checkups are an important aspect of any oral health care regimen. Your dentist needs to examine your teeth and mouth at least once per year. Generally, this type of maintenance involves X-rays, and your mouth should also be examined for signs of oral cancer.
Make 2018 Your Year for Excellent Oral Health!
Whether your teeth and gums need work or are currently in good condition, maintaining a good dental hygiene routine is critical. If you have not established such a plan, there is no better time than the present. If you have questions or concerns, do not hesitate to consult one of the Red Deer dentists at Parkland Mall Dental Centre.
Call us at 403-342-1118 to book your next appointment. New dental patients of all ages are welcome. You may also fill out our online contact form today.