What Causes Bad Breath and How to Get Rid of It
Bad Breath: Common Causes
Bad breath can be the result of a number of issues. Dietary choices, underlying health conditions, and poor hygiene habits are a few of the most common contributing factors that may lead to this problem.
These are some of the reasons people have bad breath:
• Foods and Beverages: Many foods can temporarily give your breath a noticeably pungent odour. Garlic and onions are two foods that may greatly affect your breath. Other foods and beverages that can have an effect on your breath include fish, some types of cheese, milk, alcohol, coffee, and tea.
• Tobacco Products: Tobacco products can also make your breath smell unpleasant. Whether you smoke or chew tobacco, mints and gum do not always mask this habit. Often, your tobacco product of choice is quite easily detectable to others.
• Dry Mouth: Another major factor in many bad breath cases is dry mouth. You could develop a dry mouth if you take certain medications, and you may also get a dry mouth if you sleep with your mouth open. Poor hydration could also cause a lack of proper moisture in your mouth.
• Poor Dental Hygiene: If you do not take care of your teeth and gums, you could find yourself with an ongoing case of offensive breath. Even if you brush your teeth a few times a day, not flossing could enable bad bacteria to grow in your mouth and make your breath smell.
How to Fight Bad Breath
• Healthy Limits: If you indulge in foods and beverages known to cause bad breath, do so in moderation. Keep your consumption of alcohol to a minimum, and quit your tobacco habit if you have one.
• Hydration: Proper hydration is important for your overall health, and it may help to eliminate bad breath. If you sleep with your mouth open because you snore, get tested for sleep apnea. This is a far more serious condition than bad breath, and it should be treated. Treatment for sleep apnea could also result in a pleasant side effect of better breath.
• Proper Oral Hygiene: Brushing and flossing daily are important habits, and they can also keep your breath smelling sweet. Remember to schedule regular dental cleanings and exams, as well. Practicing good oral hygiene could be one of the most effective ways to prevent chronic bad breath.
Book an Appointment with Your Family Dentist
Bad breath can cause many problems in your daily life. More importantly, it could indicate that you have a much more serious health condition, such as sleep apnea or gum disease. Always make dental hygiene a top priority, and visit your Red Deer dentist on a regular basis.
Call Parkland Mall Dental Centre at 403-342-1118 to book an appointment with your family dentist in Red Deer. New dental patients are always welcome to contact our office. Feel free to use our online contact form to reach us.