The Importance of Flossing Regularly
Oral hygiene is a vital part of ensuring good dental health. When you brush, floss, and visit your family dentist regularly, you will ultimately be rewarded for your dedication. You can also ask our team any questions you might have related to taking proper care of your smile. At Parkland Mall Dental Centre, we strive to assist you in any way that we can.
Flossing: A Guide to Doing it Right
You may be fully aware of the importance of flossing, and we hope you practice this essential habit daily. Believe it or not, you might be able to get more out of your flossing sessions than you already are. Use the following points as a guide to flossing correctly:
• Timing: The most critical detail to remember is that no matter what time of day or night you do it, you should always try to floss every day. Doing so directly after meals can prevent the accumulation of food particles and bacteria between teeth. Flossing before bedtime will ensure that bacteria do not overtake your mouth as you sleep. However, what is essential is that if you floss every 24 hours or more frequently, you should be able to avoid dental decay and gum disease.
• Technique: The way that you floss can have an effect on the overall effectiveness of your action. Be sure to pull your floss around the entire tooth as you go. Make sure that you work the floss between the teeth and the gumline. This is a common area for bacteria to form.
• Shredding: Pay attention to the condition of the floss itself. If the product tears or appears to shred as you are flossing, it may indicate that your teeth are naturally tight or that you might have a problem such as a cavity in-between your teeth. If the problem persists, you should mention it at your next cleaning appointment. You can also call us if you would prefer not to wait.
• Implements: You do not need to utilize traditional floss if it does not suit you. Many varieties of dental floss exist, from flavoured thread to dental tape to floss picks. Try different types until you find the one that works the best for you.
• Braces: If you have orthodontic braces, you may need to practise until flossing becomes easier. You can use a floss threader to assist with moving the floss through tight spaces between teeth.
• Children: Parents should teach their children to floss as early in life as possible. Floss with your kids, so they can see that the habit is important for everyone. Reward little ones for flossing if they do not enjoy doing it. You might offer them a game or movie night for every month that they floss every day. For more information on teaching children dental hygiene, visit our office today.
Keeping your teeth clean is crucial. You will maintain better oral health if you floss your teeth on a consistent basis. People of all ages should floss, from little children to senior citizens. If you would like more information on flossing techniques and best practices, talk to us at your next visit to Parkland Mall Dental Centre.
Give us a call at 403-342-1118 to book a dental exam. Regular and new dental patients may also use our quick online contact form to reach us.