Protect Your Teeth from Sports Related Injuries – Speak to Your Family Dentist in Red Deer Today
If you play high contact sports like football, hockey or rugby, it’s a good idea to speak with your family dentist about securing a custom fitting athletic mouth guard. This device can help protect you from potential mouth and teeth injuries on the field.
With today’s advanced technology, mouth guards are designed to help prevent jaw pain and stress without feeling uncomfortable or awkward. You can perform your very best during each practice and game without fear of exposing your mouth to injury.
Wearing an athletic mouth guard has many benefits:
- Can help protect against chipped or broken teeth, root and bone damage, and tooth loss
- Can safeguard against jaw fracture, cerebral hemorrhage, concussion and neck injuries
- Helps prevents cutting and bruising of the lips, tongue and cheeks
- Can provide cushion against falls and blows to the chin
- Allows you to speak without limiting your breathing
- Stays in place while you play
- Provides comfort and is precisely fitted to your teeth
- Is hard-wearing, easy to maintain and clean
- Will not tear or break
- Is odourless and tasteless
Types of Mouth Guards
Your family dentist in Red Deer will assess your individual case and provide you with the best option for your needs. Typically, a customized mouth guard will cover all of your upper teeth. Some are designed with hard outer layers and soft inner linings to prevent irritation with the teeth and gums. Some are made of acrylic or other materials to accommodate patients who have allergies to acrylic. Others are semi-rigid and flexible, depending on the patient’s specific activity.
- If your child plays competitive sports or even recreational sports, it’s highly recommended that you add a mouth guard to your list of kid-friendly supplies.
- Your child’s mouth is constantly growing, which means he or she will need to be evaluated regularly to ensure a perfectly fitting device.
- The level of potential risk and injury differs in each sport, so be sure to let your dentist know the type of activity your child or you are involved in.
- Several other factors will be considered when fitting you with a mouth guard, such as the size of your mouth, bite and whether or not you wear braces or other oral appliances.
- Taking a patient's specific needs into account will ensure full comfort and protection with a mouth guard and also help prevent costly and painful mistakes.
Custom-Made Mouth Guards from Your Family Dentist in Red Deer
Parkland Mall Dental Centre can help you secure a new athletic mouth guard so you can get back on the field in no time. When you come in for your visit, we will take impressions of your teeth in order to make a custom fitting mouth guard. Once the impressions are complete and the mouth guard is made, we will call you to pick up your device. It’s that simple!
Give us a call today at 403-342-1118 to inquire about a customized athletic mouth guard for yourself or your child. If you prefer, you can also reach us online with our convenient contact form. We are currently accepting new dental patients, so do not hesitate to contact us.