Like to Chew Gum? Are You Missing Out on Oral Health Benefits?
When you add in the sugar-free factor, you may actually do more than freshen up your breath; you could improve your overall oral health.
The Many Benefits of Sugar Free Gum
Red Deer dentists will tell their patients to opt for sugar free gum versus sugary gums because it provides certain oral health benefits including:
- Cavity prevention. Sugarless gum will refresh your breath, but it can also help ward off cavities. Chewing sugarless gum for a few minutes after a meal may actually prevent tooth decay. That is because it increases saliva production, which washes away food particles and neutralizes acids in your food. Gums containing sugar can actually increase bacteria growth and do the complete opposite.
- Strengthening tooth enamel. While you cannot replace the enamel you have already lost, you can strengthen the enamel you have left. Sugarless gum has a similar effect as toothpaste and mouthwash. When you chew on it, the acids left on your teeth are removed, thus saving your precious enamel. Also, the gum supplies minerals to your teeth, which naturally strengthen your remaining enamel.
- Kills bacteria. According to Medical Daily, sugar free gum that is chewed for just 10 minutes can remove up to 100 million bacteria present in the mouth.
- Saves you money. You might even save money by chewing gum after every meal. That is because you are improving your overall oral health, which means you spend less on dental treatments.
- It also improves digestion. Chewing gum can encourage stomach acids to help your digestive processes and may also reduce acid reflux.
Gum is NOT a Substitute for Regular Checkups with Your Family Dentist in Red Deer
While you cannot argue with the benefits of gum chewing, you cannot use gum as an alternative to regular dental checkups with your family dentist. Make sure you are still brushing, flossing and rinsing daily and keeping up with bi-annual or at least annual visits to the dentist.
If you are looking for a great way to round out your overall dental care plan and improve your oral health, add some sticks of sugarless gum to the mix. Schedule your dental checkups regularly with the team at Parkland Mall Dental Centre. We are happy to accept new dental patients.