Dental Hygiene 101
Tips for Better Oral Health
To prevent cavities and gum disease, there are a few things you can do each day to improve your oral health:
- Know Your Individual Oral Health Needs - Your dental care needs are not the same as your sister, brother, friend, etc. Everyone has their own oral health requirements. Changes in your health status can impact your needs; such as certain chronic illnesses, prescription drugs or even pregnancy. Your family dentist in Red Deer can do an assessment to help you understand your specific oral health care requirements.
- Commit to a Daily Routine - Now that you know your individual needs, you need to commit yourself to a daily routine. This should be something that is easy to follow, but still incorporates the necessary steps you need for a healthy mouth. For example, brush your teeth around the same time each day and aim for two to three times per day. Floss at the same time you brush.
- Rinse - Ask your dentist about which type of mouthwash you should be using. Some are only designed to kill bacteria, while others also contain fluoride. Your dentist can recommend the type of mouthwash you need based on your oral health needs. After you use mouthwash, do not eat, drink or rinse out your mouth again for 30 minutes. This will give your mouthwash time to work and do what it is supposed to do for your oral hygiene.
- Limit Sugary and Acidic Foods - Sugary snacks can lead to build-up and tooth decay, while acidic foods can wear away the enamel on your teeth. If you can, brush or rinse immediately after consuming these types of foods and limit how much you consume each day.
- Quit Tobacco - Smoking and even smokeless tobacco is not just bad for your overall health; it can impact your oral health too. Tobacco products are known for increasing your risk of oral cancer, gingivitis, periodontal disease and decay.
Visit Your Family Dentist in Red Deer Regularly
You do need a professional cleaning and check-up at least once a year, or preferably twice a year. This will catch the early signs of decay, preserve the health of your gums and also identify changes in your oral health needs. Parkland Mall Dental Centre is accepting new dental patients and we can help you and your family maintain perfect oral health.