A Guide to Preventive Dentistry for New Dental Patients
Preventive steps also involve regular visits to your family dentist in Red Deer for cleanings and checkups to assess the condition of your teeth and gums, and look for any issues that may require immediate attention.
If you have noticed that your gums are red and inflamed and you are experiencing severe pain and headaches, contact your dentist right away. You may have a tooth infection at the root of the tooth or between the gum and tooth. This needs to be addressed right away before the infection spreads and causes more pain and damaged tissue.
Below are the key steps you can follow as part of a preventive dentistry regimen:
- Go to bed with clean teeth – brush and floss before bedtime to remove germs and plaque that have accumulated during the course of the day.
- Wake up and brush your teeth – bacteria will breed overnight in your mouth, so it’s important to clean properly before you feed that bacteria further with your daytime consumption of food and drink.
- Brush properly by moving your toothbrush in a gentle, circular motion to penetrate those hard-to-reach areas. Always brush away from your gums so you are not pushing debris, plaque and bacteria into your gums.
- Remember to brush the plaque off your tongue too!
- Use a toothbrush that contains fluoride to protect against tooth decay.
- Drink plenty of water to help remove some of the sticky and acidic foods and beverages you have consumed throughout the day.
- Eating more crunchy fruits and vegetables is good for preventing cavities (and for your overall health).
- In case of sensitivity, bleeding gums, swelling or tooth pain, see your dentist right away. What you see as the problem may not be just that; so a timely examination will reveal if there is a bigger issue and dental treatment can be provided before you suffer longer and harder.
What are the Benefits of Preventive Dentistry?
Taking care of your teeth through preventive dentistry provided by your family dentist in Red Deer has many benefits. Not only will you save money by avoiding costly corrective dental treatments and procedures in the future, but you will also help avoid the risk of secondary problems such as:
- Bacteria and inflammation in your mouth
- Tooth decay
- Plaque buildup
- Severe periodontal (gum) disease
- Heart disease
- Premature birth of your baby
- Low birth weight of your baby
Parkland Mall Dental Centre offers dental services for both adult and children to keep your family’s teeth and gums healthy. Whether you live in Delburne, Blackfalds, Red Deer or Lacombe, we welcome new dental patients in the warm, comfortable setting of our dental office.
We can provide a number of dental services including:
- General dentistry
- Emergency services
- Oral surgery
- Teeth whitening
- Dentistry for children
- Tooth extractions
- And more!
Contact the Parkland Mall Dental Centre team today at 403-342-1118 to book your teeth cleaning or dental checkup. You can also fill out our online contact form if you are a new dental patient and have any questions or concerns.